What does my ultrasound scan test report indicate?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
I have a 10 months old baby boy, about 20 days back is he had UTI, for that treatment is over. In ultrasound it shows VUR, then we went for MCUG test... In that also reflux is thr... What can be the treatment for this?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... please upload the report and result of MCUG test. Based on the report and the grade of reflux we need to plan for the management, whether the kid needs continuous daily antibiotics for a certain period of time or not.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your kid doesn't require any regular medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... thank you for getting back with the investigations I have been expecting.

Coming to the investigations - initially you have taken an ultrasound abdomen which has revealed a probable dilatation of one of the ureters. This was on 23rd July 2016.

Later on in August you have taken a MCUG can which is more reliable one in diagnosing ureteric reflux, this has been -normal, which means that the child is not having any back flow of urine from the urinary bladder.

Even the renal scan (13th August) which you have taken is also not suggestive of a hydro uretero nephrosis. This is good news. But this Scan is suggestive of a mild vesicoureteric junction obstruction. But I suggest that you need not worry as the MCUG scan has been normal.

There is no need to use continuous antibiotics to prevent further urinary tract infection in your kid. This is technically called uroprophylaxis and is not required at all.

Hope my answer has clarified your doubt. I will be glad to take up any questions you have still.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj