What causes abdominal pain with rumbling and bloating?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I get abdominal pain, rumbling and bloating when climbing at altitude.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal during exercise as following...

Detailed Answer:

It is normal to get bloating and rumbling when climbing at altitude due to increased atmospheric pressure.

Furthermore, climbing is considered as an exercise, during which you might gasp for air. Thus, more air is being swallowed causing bloating.

Next, during this physical activities, the muscles of the GI tract are being stimulated resulting in bloating, rumbling and abdominal pain.

I advise to:
- try to take it easy when climbing
- avoid swallowing air
- take simethicone to relieve bloating
- eat often and small portions and slowly
- drink juice or water slowly, do not rush to avoid too much air swallowed

If no improvement, or if the symptoms will persist outside climbing, should consult your doctor for further evaluation.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana