What causes abdominal pain and syncope when diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,
My daughter suffered from "shock" today- her blood pressure was really low, body temperature was cool (strange since we were in the sun) and she was experiencing abdominal pain. Later, her chest was also hurting. We went out to ride bikes at 6:30 pm when it was very hot and it happened around 7:05 pm.
She has been consulting her physicians for a while. She has already seen the cardiologist who has said her heart is good although in the tilt table test, she passed out when she locked her knees.
Now she is seeing a neurologist who has already found vitamin D deficiency in her blood. He did the blood test because we told him the primary care physician didn't do one.
What is causing the fainting spells? Is bright light a trigger? Or certain food? Or the heat? I know it's not heat stroke because her body wasn't hot when it happened but very weak.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a vasovagal syncope

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Her fainting attack is due to a transient decrease in the blood flow to the brain and it is evident from her passing out when she had the tilt test. She is likely to be having a vasovagal attack and it leads to drop in the blood pressure and a cold skin. One recovers fast from it if allowed to lie flat. The feet may be elevated also. Usually prolonged standing, emotional factors, heat exposure are all triggering factors. Increasing a salt and fluid intake prior to any exposure to such triggering factors may help. She may keep moving a little or contracting her calf muscles off and on, producing a pumping action and avoiding pooling of blood in the legs, would help if standing for sometime is a triggering factor.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Vasovagal syncope or something to do with the Vasal nerve- is what the hospital said. She was just discharged after they drew blood, ran their tests and performed an EKG.

Is there any treatment available that will heal it permanently?

Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the feed back

Detailed Answer:
So the hospital agrees with my impression.
It is not a disease but something physiological.
Most teenagers grow out of it as they get older.
Just follow the suggestions I made earlier.

Best wishes,
My last question is, can this be fatal by resulting in heart failures and permanent brain damage?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
As long as she is made to lie down and reestablish the blood flow, there's little chance of any damage.
So don't worry. No one should lift her up or sit her erect.
Wish you both good health and a great day.

Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 4 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Noble XXXXXXX You were spot on and provided us with a great sense of relief. Turns out it was Vasovagal Syncope after the hospital completed their blood tests and EKG. We will get with my daughter's neurologist to find the triggers so she can avoid them. But I think you were also spot on when you advised to avoid hot crowded places and not to stand for prolonged period of time (and what to do if she does have to expose herself to these triggers). Good to know that blood pressure will return to normal just by lying down. We now know how to go about coping with her disorder and which treatments/specialist to focus on.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Glad that I was able to allay your fears.
Pressure stockings may help if she has to stand for a long time and she can keep contracting and relaxing her calf muscles, producing a kind of pumping action driving the blood upwards. As for the crowds, she has to desensitize herself by incremental periods of exposure. Healthy wholesome food, regular exercise of about 30minutes per day and practising stress relieving measures also would help.
It was nice interacting with you.
Do get back to me if you have any health queries in the future.