What causes abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea and fever?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: Stomach cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, and temp of 100 deg F.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no solid food, probiotics, medications, oral rehydration

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common causes are viral or bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract.
Viral is more common.

This is a self limiting infection meaning that it normally resolves on its own after a few days with limited treatment.

Treatment consists of: (1) hold off all solid food until there is a 4 hour window of no symptoms, when this 4 hour window occurs start with small amounts of dry foods

(2) probiotics- these have been shown to shorten the course of diarrhea/ vomiting

You can use either probiotics on their own or in certain yogurts

(3)fluids are very important. You need to give back what is being loss with vomiting and diarrhea.
Oral rehydration solutions or sport drinks such as gatorade, would be the best options

Initially use only 1 tsp to 1 tbs every 5 mins for the first hour. If this is tolerated then the amount can frequency can be increased.
If you use too much initially, it would cause the vomiting to worsen so need to use the small amounts mentioned.

(4)medications such dramamine (for vomiting), peptobismol (helps vomiting and diarrhea)

(5) paracetamol/tylenol for pain

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions