• question-icon

What causes abdominal bloating while sleeping?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Every so often at night when I go to sleep, My stomach feels very bloated. Even though each time it had been hours since I ate. The I feel like I have to throw up, but only have dry heaves. Sometimes I feel like I need a bowel movement, again nothing happens. lasts for 2 to 3 hours usually
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A change of diet might be the key

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. There are possibly a lot of things going on here, and it is essential to identify the cause prior to deciding on the treatment.

First of all, acid reflux may be the main culprit. If you have reflux on a regular basis, and your use of Pepto Bismol suggests it, I recommend you take Prilosec 40mg twice per day for seven days and refrain from eating at least two hours prior to bed time, avoid sugary drinks and caffeine.

If reflux is not a problem, then avoiding certain foods like pulses and beans, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage, onions, milk and soft drinks will help reduce the bloating. I recommend you take GasX (Simethicone) twice per day.
Using probiotics to improve the health of the bowel flora is also the sensible thing to do.
I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ornela Ademovi