What causes a white sore under the tongue?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. I went to a doctor this last week Monday when I noticed a small white sore underneath my backside of my tongue. The doctor examined it and said it was like a canker sore. I've had this almost 2 weeks and it's still the same.. It is not painful but noticeable when I eat. He did prescribe magic mouthwash which I did use and didn't seem to do much. I should say that I had a terrible sore throat the week before that and was prescribed antibiotics which is now totally gone. I've attached a picture although not clear that shows the white spot at the very back underneath the tongue. It's not a bump and smooth. Should I be concerned as I'm really worried?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern; and it suggests that this discolouration most probably due to the either vitamins or minerals deficiency.

If I were the treating doctor then I would like to prescribe
1. Multivitamins drug specially containing folic acid
2. Prebiotic and probiotics and
3. Antioxidants such as zinc, selenium etc.
For at least 7 days.

If the condition persist even after that then better to consult with ENT Specialist.

Dr Hariom Sharma MBBS, MS ENT Specialist XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar