What causes canker sores on the tongue after intercourse?

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello sir
I am XXXXXXX i am 19 year old i have done sex with professional worker but during intercourse condom gets broken after 3 days i got cold and pain near ears and neck i get urine test which was showing pus cells i start taking medicine of cold and infection and after 7 days i got canker sore under tongue and whitish tongue sir is this symptoms of hiv but moreover 4 days after intercourses i got blood sample of sex worker however it was negative sir but niw i m confused due to oral symptoms
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding STD screening

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Thank you for writing to us.
I am Dr. Kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

A broken condom amounts to unprotected sex therefore you must go for full panel STDs screening test including HIV(Hiv Combo test for P24 antigen and anti HIV antibodies) syphilis (VDRL/ RPR), Herpes (HSV type 1 and 2 Elisa, igg and IBM) and urine test/ swab test for gonorrhea and chlamydia. These tests should be done initially at 3-4 weeks from sexual encounter and then again 12 weeks for a conclusive result. In the mean time if you develop any genital complaints like urethral discharge, burning micturation, genital sores, genital warts/ growths etc you must visit a dermatologist in person for examination.
Your symptoms of flu (fever, sore throat, ear ache etc) are not specific to HIV and moreover usually start after 7-10 days of HIV infection. Therefore you could most likely be suffering from a normal viral flu.
Canker sore and whitish coating on tongue(perhaps thrush) are also not specific signs of HIV and are a common side effect of oral antibiotic therapy (if your flu medicine also included an oral antibiotic for sore throat and ear ache then perhaps that is a reason for canker sore and thrush).
You cannot rely on the STD screening of a sex worker as an alternative to your own. You need to undergo full panel STD screening yourselves.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist