What causes excessive salivation?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am experiencing constant excessive salivation, it has been going on for weeks. What could be causing this & how do I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow up with the necessary details

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

Excessive salvation can occur due to several reasons. So it is important to know further details about your history, so that I can give you a definite answer.

-When did you start noticing the excessive salvation?
- Are you currently on any medications?If so, provide the name of the medications
-Have you noticed swallowing difficulty?
- Any regurgitation of food?
- Do you suffer from heart burn?
- Any history of stoke or other neurological disorders like Parkinson's disease?
- Any ulcers in your mouth?
-Do you have tooth pain, sore mouth ?

Awaiting
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 50 minutes later
Now that you mention it; I have been experiencing dental pain near a dental implant I have. It's been getting worse for about 4 weeks. Intermittent heartburn treated with Omeprazole. Small ulcer(canker sore) on my tongue.

Meds:
Trazadone
Fluoxetine
Fenofibrate
Truvada
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Tooth infection and canker sore is most likely cause for the excessive salivation you are experiencing.
Adding to that heartburn and reflux disease will also increase saliva production.You currently have multiple risk factors contributing to excessive salivation.
Adequately controlling heartburn will reduce the symptoms. Here are few things you can try
Continue omeprazole
Avoid spicy, fatty, and fried foods as well as chocolates and carbonated drinks.
Avoid citrus-containing foods like tomatoes, oranges, and fruit juices.
Eat multiple small portions of food rather than three large meals.
Limit caffeine intake.
Have your dinner at least two hours before bedtime, so that your stomach is light before you go to bed.
Elevate the head end of the bed by placing wooden blocks under the bed post. Using extra pillows will not provide relief.
Avoid cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption.
Maintain a healthy weight.

Regarding the canker sore, it will subside by itself in 2 weeks. Take vitamin b supplements to prevent recurring canker sores. Also, follow up with your dentist to see if the tooth is infected and initiate appropriate treatment.
Once these issues are resolved, the excessive salivation will subside.

Hope I was able to help you
Please let me know if you need further clarifications
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D