What causes a sore on the tongue?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Dr. Actually I am suffering from an oral disease means there is cuts or say sore in my tongue and it's became Red entirely from a long time it causes pain when I eat something or any little spicy food, just because of this I unable to eat properly, right now I am taking Pain killers but I want to know the proper cure for this please help me in this. What should I do in this so then I can get relief from this pain.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
need further investigations as well as clinical evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

From your descriptions, it seems like recurrent mouth ulcers, however a proper clinical check-up should be done for confirmation..

Now please note that frequent mouth ulcers are most commonly due to improper brushing technique and hard bristles, so please get a toothbrush with a soft bristles(now a days there are even extra soft bristles available) and get in touch with a dentist to learn the proper technique of brushing..there's also possiblity of sharp dental edges which may be aggravating this, can be easily find out during the dental check-up..

Secondly, if you feel it's not due to brushing, then there are certain things to consider, i.e. Iron/folic acid deficiency and/or vit-B 12 deficiency, so it'll be ideal go for a few investigations (CBC,Peripheral Blood smear and a few more as per the clinical findings) along with a oral cavity examination by either an ENT specialist/Dentist..

No, pain killer can only provide symptomatic pain relief, for proper cure and management it's better to get examined first in details (seems like quite a few months you're suffering from these, so it's better not to delay any longer)..

Is there any burning sensation in food pipe/throat, stomach region or any sour burps/belching or any bad breath ?

If it's present then please start taking Tab PANTOPRAZOLE 40 mg Once Daily 20-25 min before breakfast for the next 15 days and observe how you stay..

Also start gargling with Chlorhexidine mouth wash three times daily for next one week..then twice daily for another few days..

Yes, you're right, avoid spicy, salty and sour foods for the time being as they are quite prone to aggravate these.. avoid smoking/alcohol too(if you do)..

Try to follow all these first, and do let me know if there's any further queries..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 15 hours later
Okay Dr. I will do that first if it not works then i'll contact again. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow as already advised..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Yes, follow all the advises along with a oral cavity examination by either an ENT specialist/Dentist as already explained in details (seems like quite a few months you're suffering from these, so it's better not to delay any longer)..

Yes, let me know how you stay in the due course

Take Care
Kind Regards

Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 32 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
I forgot to tell you that today I went to my local Clinic and that Dr. prescribed me some medicines for 3 days these are :- NARFLOXACIN tablet 400mg, Ranitidine Hydrochloride, Buscogast and I have took 2 dose by today so my question is that should I continue this or not. Please tell me Dr. .
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
upload the prescription here..

Detailed Answer:
Hi again XXXXXXX

Please upload the prescription here at first, let me have a look at it..

NORFLOXACIN- antibiotic
Ranitidine- antacid AND
Buscogast- pain killer, part of symptomatic treatment only.

Now I believe by local clinic you meant physician, while this is more of a recurrent condition which requires a specialist look, that's why I've already mentioned about the Dentist/ENT specialist in the first place..

Take Care
Kind Regards