What causes a rash on the roof of the mouth in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 7 year old has a rash on the roof of his mouth. He has a cough and was treated for strep a month ago.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions given.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached images. The hard palate appears bruised.

I would insist on the following for him:
* He needs to avoid hot and spicy foods to avoid further irritation.
* Ask him to gargle with cool, salted water to ease the pain in the sores. Possibly he can find relief by swishing cold milk around his mouth.
* Apply the gel found within an aloe vera leaf on the sores for fast relief. Clenora gel or Zytee lotion (topical anaesthetic agent) can also be used.
* There can be Vitamin B deficiency present. Give him some vitamin supplements.

Try these for the next few days and see if there is some improvement. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get further evaluation done.