• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sore throat and red discoloration on the hard palate

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a sore throat on saturday, i noticed red circle shape in soft palate, now its tuesday and spot is now in hard palate, can i get some help. I have the pictures from then and now

Not painful at all, the first one on saturday got irritated and bled when i was brushing my palate when brushing teeth. But went away as u can see in picture, then i checked today and red spot is more infront now. Very confused, i use cocaine weekend sometimes , have post nasal drip and sinus congestion sometimes but dont know if this has anything to do with it.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mucositis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
I have seen the pictures. It seems to be mucosal infection. it has no relation to sinus infection or sore throat. It is either traumatic or infection or a side effect of cocaine use.
From the appearance it doesn't seem to be malignant at all but it would be better to get yourself examined by an ENT SPECIALIST as the lesion is progressing.
Avoid smoking.
Avoid spicy foods and aerated drinks.
Apply candid mouth paint and use hexidine gargles.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 35 minutes later
If it was mucositis it would be painful, wouldnt it? Its not painful at all.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mucositis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is not compulsory for the lesion to be painful. A painless lesion that bleeds too should be investigated to rule out malignancy. You should visit an ENT SPECIALIST and get it examined because just commenting as per the appearance and morphology of the lesion which is not symptomatic is not enough.
I hope my advise proves useful for you.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist