What causes a protruding bone on the center of chest in infants?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: my one and half year old has a protruding bone in the centre just below breast line theres a slight dip under it, ive been to the doctor and she doesn't think anything of it but has referred me to pedestrian, im so worried now though so im hoping you can help
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is normal. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcare Magic.

I have gone through the image as well as your query. You are talking about the xiphisternum. Let me assure you that it is a normal variation in shape and not a cause for concern. Nothing needs to be done about it and as a pediatricuan I assure you the same.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
thank you, would u be worried about his lower chest/ribs been abit prominent also. he's fit and healthy in every way, running around like any other little boy.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
No I would not be worried about it. The only thing that would make me worry is an increased rate of respiration which would indicate respiratory distress.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Thanks so much for ur help, he was at the doctors yesterday and she said he's resp rate was perfect, thanks a mill for giving me peace of mind.
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service.

Detailed Answer:
I am glad that you found my answer helpful and pacifying. Feel free to ask me directly about any subsequent issue that you face.

I would hope that you would leave a positive review and a 5 star rating for the answer, if you have found it to be helpful.

Wish you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician