What causes a painful bump on the back side of tongue?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Yesterday I noticed a small bump on the back side of my tongue. It doesn't hurt. I scratched it with a nail and it bleed quite a bit. It doesn't hurt or anything. I'm just a hypochondriac so I worry about everything and anything. I'm going to see an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor on Thursday. But I just want to prepare myself for whatever it might be instead of googling everything over the next few days.
Answered by Dr. Paparaja S 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be enlarged papilla.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I had gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.
According to your history that could be enlarged papillae, that is taste bud. Nothing to worry about that. If you scratch it will bleed. Avoid traumatizing it.
Apply local anesthetic based gel if its hurting.

You will be fine. Nothing to worry.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any questions, I am happy to help.
Wish you a good health and speedy recovery.
Dr Paparaja S MBBS MS
Consultant ENT Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Paparaja S

ENT Specialist