What causes a miscarriage in the 8th week of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor I am 8 weeks pregnant approx. I am bleeding from past 4 days .bleeding is moderate .during transvaginal scan only a small and collapsed sac was found..which according to doctor is not a very healthy sac. The location of sac is very low in the abdomen. I understand it's a miscarriage.Doctor has given a gestofit dr 300gm for supporting pregnancy.she said to wait and watch and there is only 50% chance.after this is over when can I plan for a second one. What all things should be taken care off before conceiving for next
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for 3 months at least.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A miscarriage during first trimester mostly happens due to chromosomal defects in which the fetal heart beat does not appear.
Following abortion, next 1-2 cycle may be irregular but after that, period becomes normal as like previous in most women. Therefore, one should start to plan for conceiving after 3 cycles at least after regularization of period.

If period is regularized, then you should calculate ovulation time that occurs approx 14 days before next due date. Ovulation prediction kit is also very much helpful in context to predict ovulation and you should prepare for that day for unprotected sex for highest possibility of pregnancy.

In these 3 months, you may take folic acid & vitamin E supplements with healthy diet.

Do some basic things also to improve fertility:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fruits.
3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
Basically pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation & unprotected sex. After abortion, you are always in risk for next one but it varies women to women. Therefore you should wait at least 1-2 cycle to regularize period and after that you can plan pregnancy.

Before planning next pregnancy, it is better to undergo some investigation to rule out causes of previous abortion like TORCH profile, Blood gr & Rh typing of both (to check Rh incompatibility), Blood sugar (PPBS), Test for chromosomal abnormality, Progesterone level after ovulation etc.

Taking folic acid & vitamin E in preconception period are very much helpful to improve fertility & in brain development of fetus during pregnancy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Thank you doctor.I was really upset because of bleeding but doctor adviced if it goes off let it go since we all want normal children. How will the uterus be cleansed. and how can I bring back my regular periods back as soon as possible. Now for the second one it seems to be I can plan in January.

Please confirm the reason for these chromosomal defects. Is it because of defect within my body or my husband
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The uterus usually cleans on its own if spontaneous abortion happens. Surgical procedure D&C may be needed in some cases.
The periods will regularize on their own. In case the periods are irregular then hormonal tablets may be needed after consulting your gynecologist.
The cause of chromosomal defects is not known. Genetic studies of both of you can help in detecting cause in case the abortion happens again.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.