What causes a lump on the upper thigh?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: A small lump has developed on front of upper right thigh, where torso meets leg (lump on inner groin) under skin and is tender to touch. Does not really bother me as I am still working out daily and or maintaining normal function. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible lymph node or lipoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

In most cases, this is just a swollen lymph node which doesn't require any specific treatment at this point. This usually happens as a reaction to any infection or inflammation in your body and pulls back within 2 weeks.

Other causes include benign subcutaneous lesions such as lipoma or atheroma and if there are no skin changes such as redness, pus discharge or pain and fever then you should not be worried and you can wait and see if this will grow. In cases of further growth, you can do an ultrasound scan or have it surgically removed under local anesthesia. Then if there are doubts it can be sent to the patho-histologic analysis.

Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon