What causes a lump on the elbow?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi! I have a hard lump on the inside of my elbow. The crease where your arm bends. I noticed this about a week ago. Tender to the touch. Area is slightly red. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possible abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
This is possible abscess if there is pain and redness around swelling area and this may be caused by follicluitis or by insect bite, injury, or some less common causes. Also, it may be localized thrombophlebitiis which means that there is inflamed vein under the skin. In every case I think that antibiotics, preferably amoxicillin, is required for 4-5 days and also you should apply cold compresses and rest with your arm. It should improve within few days. If not, then you should do ultrasound to verify if there is a cyst or bursitis in this area. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 40 minutes later
There isn't any pain. Only tenderness to the touch. Does that change the possible causes?
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
It still may be what i 've mentioned,but also diagnosis may include lipoma or subcutaneous fibrom it would be best to check it with ultrasound.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 27 minutes later
I looked up those terms and what I found said those would be soft lumps. Does the fact that it's a hard lump change anything that you have said?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
All these subcutaneous lesions may be more or less soft or hard,especially fibroma or ateroma,but also thrombosed vein as well. Lipomas may have hard component as well.