What causes a lump in the breast?

Posted on Fri, 24 Feb 2017 in Women's Health
Question:
I asked a question a couple of weeks ago and have since had some further symptoms that im concerned about. In December, I found a small smooth lump in my right breast. I saw the nurse who said it was nothing and told me to come back in 3 weeks after taking antibiotics. I then saw a doctor who said she thought it was part of the normal tissue. There is also some discolouration over the lump (or maybe a bruise). The dr said to come back only if the lump changed.

It has not changed since then and the mark is stikk thrre however I have had problems with my arm, this is a heavy achy feeling in my right arm with an ocasional wrist/finger pain, it has been going on for two weeks and seems to get worse when using my keyboard at work. I thought it was down to this however last night I also had about ten mins of a sharp, pulsing burning pain in my right breast. I also internittently have some tightness of the chest. I am not overweight. Is this likely connected to the lump?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be Fibroadenoma

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The lump n your breast seems to be Fibroadenoma. Its small movable lump. To confirm it you can go for mammography. It can be infective, if you have fever. But pain in hand and finger may be due to cervical pain. So do not worry. Consult and do examine by doctor for proper cause.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am a little confused when you say that the pain in the arm could be connected to cervical pain? I dont have cervical pain.

Also is the breast pain likely to be a fiboradenoma?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the arm is least likely to be due to any lump in the breast. The pain in wrist and finger is likely to be positional related to keyboard use.The pain in arm can also be positional. Correcting the posture and taking frequent stretch breaks while working on computer will help in decreasing the pain. it can be related to cervical muscle spasm while working at the computer. Simple neck exercises will also help.
The breast pain can be due to fibroadenoma. This can be detected only after a mammography.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN