• question-icon

What causes a longitudinal pigmented band in the nail?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have a tiny (slightly over a mm) thin black line that starts at the end of nail going toward the nail bed. Is this something I should be concerned about? I did have a melanoma on my back 6 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload an image in "reports section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Having trouble uploading the picture. It is a very small, thin black line, just barely over a mm long and less than 1/4 of mm wide. It starts at the nail and barely makes it into the nail bed.

I showed it to my ND (natropath dr.), and she said it almost definitely is a splinter hemorage. Is that what it sounds like?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem like a melanoma

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

It certainly does not seem like a melanoma. A melanoma usually presents as a darkly pigmented irregular thick band which extends the entire length of nail and also the proximal nail fold. The lesion that you have is very likely something else.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist