• question-icon

What causes a large painful bump on the face above the neckline?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Yesterday I woke with a large raised bump on my face, just above my neckline. The surface is very hard and red. I put a topical antibiotic on it yesterday.
It is painful and this morning it started to have puss and clear fluid and blood come out of it when I put pressure on it. Last night the hard area was about an inch wide.
can you advise
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like acne to me, cavity formed below that will gradually drain

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. From the attached image and information provided it seems to me like a simple case of acne. As the region has begun draining I would predict recovery/healing in a matter of a few days without any medical intervention.

Here are my suggestions:

+Do not pick on it
+Do not try to drain it
+Keep the region dry and clean as much as possible
+Avoid cosmetics in and around the region
+Continue the application of the topical antibiotic at least twice daily for the next 3-5 days
+Drink plenty of water
+Warm compress over the region (using a clean cloth with hot rock salt folded in), or any other hot object inside a clean cloth, that can serve as a hot compress. Heat application to the region improves blood flow, that in turn promotes healing and rapid drainage of the region
+Wash your face regularly enough to keep it clean

The hard region is purely due to an underlying cavity that will gradually drain (hot compress will help with that). Do not worry about it ma'am, it should be perfectly fine in a few days time. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Thank you very much for your quick response.

I have never experienced anything like this before.

Due to the large area 1 inch and a bit more in other direction, do you think it could have started as an insect or spider bite? That is what it felt like.

Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes of course it is possible ma'am, here is the explanation

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Yes it is of course a plausible cause, but I did not comment on it as the individual experiencing it usually points it out to us. But it is of course possible.

An insect bite results in the introduction of foreign substance (the stinger) into the human body which then results in a defensive reaction by the body that in turn results in the formation of a cavity beneath. This could be the 1 inch area you have palpated, it will drain eventually and you can continue with the same suggestions I have provided you with in my previous discussion.

Along with all the previous suggestions, please also introduce any anti-histamine you can find like benadryl, cetrizine, etc. To be taken twice daily for around 3-5 days.

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Please do not hesitate to write to me anytime and regarding anything you need clarification on, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan