What can be the effects of abruptly stopping Oxytocin?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Pain Management
Question: Hello. My father is 70 years old and he was prescribed from his doctor Oxytocin 30 mg, 3 pills a day because of his gout pain and diabetes type 2 damage that he has in his feet and elbow. He been taking the drugs for a couple of months now but currently has gone cold turkey and stopped taking it all together for 7 or 8 days now. How long do the withdrawal symptoms last?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal effects can last upto 10 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The withdrawal effects can last up to 10 days. They are more severe in the initial few days. Replacement medication for the pain should minimize the withdrawal period.
Since he has diabetes, the feet should be examined for any signs of skin breaks or infection and treated promptly.
Narcotics are never first line drugs in a gout patient unless there is a compelling indication e.g renal failure. NSAIDs should be used in the acute flare up.
Allopurinol or febuxostat to maintain uric acid levels and avoid fluctuations. Never use these two in the acute flare up stage.
Neuropathies associated with diabetes are difficult to treat, Gabapentin along with B 12 supplementation can be used in such patients. HBA1C and Fasting Blood sugar levels should be checked.

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any medication.

wishing you best of health

thanks

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj