Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

What can be done for a high blood sugar? Have frequent urination.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
Hello, This question is directed to Dr. Shehzad Topiwala.
Im 29 years old Male of Indian origin. Height 175cm and Weight 71.5Kg. I have been recently diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes.
Q1. My PP blood sugar levels always remain high in range of 220-260 mg/dl how ever my fasting sugar level which is normally below 140mg/dl. Why is is happening and what can be done for it?
Q2. I have problem of very frequent urination. How to check whether I am also having diabetes insipidus. Also whether a person can be affected by both diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus at same time?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Your BMI is 23.3 , which even by Asian Indian standards, does not XXXXXXX the overweight criteria although you are close at the 23.5 kg/m2 cut off. However BMI measurement have their drawbacks and can be misleading sometimes. Therefore some scientific guidelines utilize waist circumference (WC) measurements to define the presence of 'central' obesity. For Asian males, it is 90 cm. If your WC exceeds this value then this is a risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes.

I would strongly recommend you see an endocrinologist to ascertain whether you have type 1 versus type 2 diabetes. The endocrinologist is also the best specialist to determine if you have concurrent diabetes insipidus. It is extremely rare to have both.

Frequent urination is a typical consequence of high blood glucoses. There is a spill over of excess blood glucose in urine and it drags water along with it. If you have type 2 diabetes then metformin is the medication of first choice, provided you do not have any medical conditions precluding its use. It has to be gradually increased to full dose over a couple months.

If your blood glucoses both fasting and PP dont come down after having been on metformin for 3 months and the A1c lab test remains elevated above 7%, despite best lifestyle changes then more medication will need to be considered. Again, all these issues are best handled by a qualified Endocrinologist (MD,DM). Seeing a dietitian is of enormous help as is obtaining formal diabetes education. WWW.WWWW.WW is a useful website to get started

Hope I answered your query, I am available for further discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor