Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

What can I do if I have been diagnosed with pudendal neuralgia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
I am dealing with a medical mystery that no doctor has been able to help me with. Feb 8, 2010 I had warts removed from the genitals with a freeze and burn treatment. The treatment caused me some nerve damage to the genitals and I have been having chronic genital pain every since. I have been diagnosed with a rare condition called pudendal neuralgia. I am a 26 yr. old male and prior to the wart removal procedure I was in good health. I hardly ever got sick or had pains and never had a trauma pain that wouldn't go away. Sept. of last year I soaked in a lavender an chamomile bath therapy salt to try to help with my genital pain and while sitting in the tub with this bath salt for about a minute my eyes started burning to the extreme an turned red. I didn't get any of the bath salt in my eye. My eyes just started burning while soaking. And now I have been having severe chronic pain which seems to be in my eyelids or around my eyeballs every since. It hurts more while holding my eyes open and my bottom eyelids are slightly swollen. Sometimes its hard to hold my eyes open all the way. The pain is constant. It never ends. I have seen 4 XXXXXXX med docs, 2 Optometrist, 2 Opthamologist, A Neuro-Opthamologist, A Neurologist, A Pain Specialist, And a Allergist, And even went to the hospital to seek help. None of these doctors have been able to diagnose my problem or give me any possible cause or reasons for my pain or the bottom eyelid swelling. I have had full eye exams and test that show perfectly good eye health. I have had a X-Ray and Cat Scan of my sinuses and a MRI on my head and these scans didn't show anything wrong. I have had full blood work that show good health. Everything was in perfect range and no diseases was shown in my blood. I have tried eye drops, Advil, Claritin, Steroid Dose Pack, Cymbalta, Neurontin, and Oxycodone. Out of all these medications the only one that seems to help a little with my eyelid pain is Advil. None of the other medication seems to help at all with my eyelid pain but all these pain medications helps with my genital pain. I have even tried acupuncture which only aggravates my eye pain. I don't know what to do now. I am lossed with this mystery. Eye doctors tells me to see a neurologist and neurologist tells me to see a eye doctor. Do you have any idea of what is going on to be causing this pain around my eyeballs and whats the next step I should take as far as seeking help with this problem?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later

I appreciate your patience in detailing all symptoms, the way a doctor would like to have.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I conclude from the information is that:
1. You are suffering from the last 14 months
2. You still suffer with pain associated with pudendal neuralgia following cyro therapy for warts
3. You have a eye complication that started following the bath therapy though there was no eye contact.
4. You have been consulting and being evaluated extensively.

Following are my suggestions for your queries:
1) Eye complication seems to be related to allergic rhinitis, and this could be the reason for its chronic course. You may require long term eyedrops to keep it soothing and might be steroids too. It would be better to get ocular herpes ruled out. Please discuss this with your Ophthalmologist.

2) You seem to have something related to pudendal neuralgia, as the pain pattern in Pudendal neuralgia is to be positional and most probably associated with incontinence of urine and stool. You may confirm nerve affection by nerve conduction studies after discussing about this with your Neurologist. Also I would like to rule out associated diabetes. At times you may need some local steroid injections.

3) If possible, send me the pictures of the various lesions in eye and genitalia for better evaluation. You can mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject
:ATTN Dr.Santosh Kondekar.

I would be anticipating your mail and sure with persistent efforts you can win over the situation.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor