What is the treatment for Epstein-Barr virus?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Infections
Question: I live in XXXXXXX but my wife at present is living in Ukraine. She came to the US and we were married on Nov.29, 2012. After she was in the US for a few months, she began to have lots of stress and anxiety. She has been diagnsoised as having a re-occurance of Esptein-Barr Virus. That was brought to surface by her stress. Her main symptom is pain (neuropathy) in the Trigeminal Nerve on left and right sides of the face and sometimes into the teeth.. They have given her gamaglobin shots, and vitamins. She has been treated for several months, but with only little or no improvement. What do they typically do for treatment here in US? I have read of a Doctor in Houston, Tx who treats Epstein-Barr virus with 1 injection of glutathione per week for 6 weeks. Have you heard of this treatment?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Glutathione may help.Good personal hygiene, nutrit Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. I appreciate your care in helping your wife's health. Before telling about glutathione I like to explain the management of Esptein-Barr Virus (EBV) infection. The EBV infection treatment is mainly symptomatic and no specific treatment is present. Need to have good personal hygiene and have to keep away from sexual intercourse. Rest, plenty of fluids, and pain medicines(analgesic) are recommended for management. With improving her health status all the symptoms will disappear. Precautions for EBV infection: Enlargement of spleen may be present and any trauma must be avoided. EB virus is associated with some lymphomas. So it is better to have screening with general physical examination, USG abdomen and complete haemogram. Glutathione is the body's master antioxidant and main form of detoxification. This may help in improving body immune response and to manage stress due to infection. But no study has confirmed its efficacy in EBV management. Glutathione injections as well as cream is available, you can ask your wife to try this. This may help her. Supplement with B complex vitamins should be continued. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Wish your wife a faster recovery and good health. Regards