Suggest ways to get fair skin tone

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doc, I am a 17 years old male. I have a wheatish complexion and am a bit dark. Is there anything you can suggest so that I become a bit fairer?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding skin tone lightening

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Skin color is largely genetically determined and depends on the number, size, activity of melanocytes in the epidermis, ratio of Eumelanin vs Pheomelanin (types of melanin - Eumelanin is darker as compared to pheomelanin) and the distribution of melanin within the epidermis. Although it is possible to bring a certain change in complexion by altering the distribution and activity of melanocytes and the ratio of melanin but only to an extent.
You must use a broad spectrum sunscreen throughout the day so as to reduce melanocyte activity because sunlight is the most potent stimulant for increased melanocyte activity.
In addition you may take oral glutathione as a skin lightening agent. Glutathione acts by reducing melanin synthesis and by switching melanin synthesis from eumelanin to pheomelanin. It is a prescription drug and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for more information regarding glutathione and for a prescription regarding the same.