Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suggest ways to get fair skin tone

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7453 Questions
Hi Doc, I am a 17 years old male. I have a wheatish complexion and am a bit dark. Is there anything you can suggest so that I become a bit fairer?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding skin tone lightening

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Skin color is largely genetically determined and depends on the number, size, activity of melanocytes in the epidermis, ratio of Eumelanin vs Pheomelanin (types of melanin - Eumelanin is darker as compared to pheomelanin) and the distribution of melanin within the epidermis. Although it is possible to bring a certain change in complexion by altering the distribution and activity of melanocytes and the ratio of melanin but only to an extent.
You must use a broad spectrum sunscreen throughout the day so as to reduce melanocyte activity because sunlight is the most potent stimulant for increased melanocyte activity.
In addition you may take oral glutathione as a skin lightening agent. Glutathione acts by reducing melanin synthesis and by switching melanin synthesis from eumelanin to pheomelanin. It is a prescription drug and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for more information regarding glutathione and for a prescription regarding the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor