What can I do about fluid retention and fatigue?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Question: Good Morning, I am tired (physically exhausted) all of the time and I have started retaining a lot of fluid.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

With a physical concern of fatigue, there are several different aspects of your overall health which should be reviewed. I am more concerned with the apparent fluid retention which you report in your query.

Regarding fluid retention, this can be caused by a number of things which include: salt content of the diet, nutritional status, and heart function. In the absence of malnutrition or a recent history of excessive salt intake (over 4 Grams per day) then we should consider your overall heart function.

If your heart is dealing with excessive amounts of fluid, it can lead to a state of congestion which can cause swelling of the legs and some degree of fatigue or shortness of breath. I would like you to see your physician as soon as you are able for an examination and possibly some lab studies as well. We want to make sure at the same time that you are not anemic - anemia can cause overall stress and congestion of the heart as well.

Finally, a minor adjustment of your BP medication may be all that is needed in your case which is why a visit to your doctor is warranted.

I hope my reply here has been adequate and informative. I am available for your followups.