Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

What are these raised red bumps that itch and have been spreading in some parts of the body ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
My husband has red raised bumps with white in the middle. They started on the back of his knees- about 4 or 5 on each knee. He has some on his back and side (probably about 10) sporadically placed. They itch intensely. they look like bug bites, ants, mosquitos, but he hasn't been outside. He had one new one this morning. They look almost like chicken pox. They are not in clusters or do not appear to be a rash. What could this be? He is 47 years old.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

You have mentioned that your husband has red raised bumps with white in middle occurring over the extremities and back.

1. Are they fluid filled ?
2. Any associated Fever and Joint Pains ?

Many conditions can lead to such spots.
It can range from as simple as scabies and allergy.
Chicken pox typically causes skin lesions which are reddish, fluid filled and itch.

It will be helpful for me to give you a specific advice if you could mail me the pictures of the lesions.
You can send them at YYYY@YYYY with Subject: Attn: Dr Kiran Kumar.

Its unlikely to be due to insect bite. Because you have mentioned that he has not been out and also because such lesions tend to be localized to one region. Chicken Pox is a probability. Type of lesion will help in this regards.

You could also consult a physician and get him examined.

Please do mail me the photos as this would help me in suggesting you better and confirm the mailing by writing here so as to reply you at the earliest.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor