• question-icon

What are the withdrawal symptoms of Aranesp shots on an elderly person?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: My 100 year old mother takes Arinesp shots every 3 weeks and she seems to maintain a hemoglobin level of 8-9. She is semi cognoscente and I am beginning to think the Arinedp is "extraordinary measure" something she never wanted . What kind of a death would occur were she to stop the injections?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She would die from low blood level: Insufficient oxygen for organs!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this worry you have about Aranesp. This drug mainly increases hemoglobin and has nothing to do with mental status. If your mom stated clearly that she is not in favor of using any heroic measures to keep her alive, I understand the need to respect her wishes and more so at this time that she is no longer at her best. However, Aranesp is not a heroic measure that should be denied in the strongest terms. I will say, allow this drug as it is nothing beyond an injection. Should you want to get her to hospice, at that time you may discontinue every other drug but if she’s isn’t into hospice care, this medications is just okay and is not considered an extraordinary measure.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah