Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What are the treatment available for papillary carcinoma of thyroid?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hi. I have a small thyroid nodule some vascular and microcalcification it grew some so had a FNB which came back confirmed with papillary malignacy and Hurthles cell. I know surgery is the traditional approach but have you heard of alternative treatment like alkalizing the body. If I wanted to try that how long could I try it for without risk and would I have another biopsy to see if it is gone
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 57 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, papillary carcinoma of thyroid is the most common malignant lesion of thyroid. And most importantly, it has a very good prognosis. Studies have shown a 5 year survival rate of >90% after successful treatment. But, overall, the prognosis depends on the clinical profile that means age of the patient, size of the lesion, presence of any metastasis etc.

What I wanted to say you is to go for surgical removal and post surgical therapy if required depending upon the biopsy report. As the prognosis is very good, why will you take chance or experiment with yourself ?

Look, the alternative treatment like alkalizing the body will not give you any guaranteed relief. Moreover, if it fails, it will take very valuable times out of your life.

If you really want to try it, the exact time period without risk cannot be told. Because, it will depend on the disease progression which varies person to person. But, beginning of metastasis will indicate towards a complicated course of disease.

Lastly, the decision is yours.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor