What are the treatment available for papillary carcinoma of thyroid?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi. I have a small thyroid nodule some vascular and microcalcification it grew some so had a FNB which came back confirmed with papillary malignacy and Hurthles cell. I know surgery is the traditional approach but have you heard of alternative treatment like alkalizing the body. If I wanted to try that how long could I try it for without risk and would I have another biopsy to see if it is gone
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 57 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, papillary carcinoma of thyroid is the most common malignant lesion of thyroid. And most importantly, it has a very good prognosis. Studies have shown a 5 year survival rate of >90% after successful treatment. But, overall, the prognosis depends on the clinical profile that means age of the patient, size of the lesion, presence of any metastasis etc.

What I wanted to say you is to go for surgical removal and post surgical therapy if required depending upon the biopsy report. As the prognosis is very good, why will you take chance or experiment with yourself ?

Look, the alternative treatment like alkalizing the body will not give you any guaranteed relief. Moreover, if it fails, it will take very valuable times out of your life.

If you really want to try it, the exact time period without risk cannot be told. Because, it will depend on the disease progression which varies person to person. But, beginning of metastasis will indicate towards a complicated course of disease.

Lastly, the decision is yours.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.