What are the symptoms of vaginitis?

Posted on Thu, 4 Aug 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: What are symptoms of Vaginitis? How can I tell if it was sexually transmitted? If water enters the vagina during intercourse, can this cause Vaginitis? I have Dysuria, as well as the urgency to pee and itching inside my vagina. Feels swollen when I proded the inner labia. Recently had intercourse.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginitis may be due to STD or nonSTD causes

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Redness of genitals, swelling, itching with or without excessive discharge are the symptoms and signs of vaginitis. It is very difficult to assess whether it is due to STD or not by yourself on inspection or subjective feeling. Investigations need to confirm the etiology. Certain causes like yeast infection can occur due to STD reason or nonSTD reasons. Dysuria and frequency indicates urethritis. Possibly due to STD cause. Yeast vaginitis can occur with Diabetes Mallitus. Rule out Diabetes, even though it is rare in young individuals. Treatment has to be planned according to the outcome of examination and investigations results.
It is better to consult a physician and get well soon.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist