What are the symptoms of transient ischemic attack?
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
Symptoms of a TIA are the same as symptoms of a stroke. But symptoms of a TIA don't last very long. Most of the time, they go away in 10 to 20 minutes. Having said that, what you described are classical signs of a TIA. A Physical exam is needed to ascertain any focal neurologic deficit first, before jumping to conclusions.
Investigations to look for a source of clot must be done as subsequent risk of a stroke after a TIA increases drastically.
Carotid and Lower Limbs
•An echocardiogram .
•Blood tests, including a complete blood count and a fasting blood sugar should also be done.
HBA1C should be done to estimate blood sugar control and meds adjusted accordingly. Glaucoma requires adequate IOP control , it should be checked and medications eg latanoprast commenced , soon
Smoking and alcohol should be avoided, adequate B.P and sugar control and assessment for blood thinners should also be done if indicated.
Let me know if you have any query
couple of days the memory loss too. The head numbness lasted 6 hours and the numbness in his arms and legs improved slowly but was gone in 24 hours. He has been left with a slightly worse memory but today that seems better. I will work on him going to the doctor but he's a stubborn man. I will show him what you have you written. Many thanks once again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pathophysiology transient ischemic attack
- Transient ischemic attack and flying
- What are the symptoms of transient ischemic attack ?
- Epilim and transient ischemic attack
- Symptoms like transient ischemic attack
- Transient ischemic attack treatment
- Transient ischemic attack symptoms
- Transient ischemic attack symptoms emedicine neurology
- Causes transient ischemic attacks
- Transient ischemic attack prognosis