What are the symptoms of pedal edema?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I seem to perhaps have Pedal Enemia for the first time in my life and I don't know if it is a sign of something significant........e.g. heart failure....or gout..........or something else
I have never had this presentation of symtoms before in my life......so I don't know what to make of it
Very significant recent changes in my behavior are extreme limitation of sleep. I have at times recently stayed up all night without sleep and have then just napped the next day 2 -3 hour ....although I would say I am averaging about 4-5 hour sleep a night...........I am doing this for a somewhat chosen reason......I am doing some internet overseas dating and the people I am mostly contacting are in the Philippines and they are 15 hours ahead of us, so I am tempted to stay up late into the morning hours to "chat" online in their early evening hours which can be in the "dead of night" 2-6 am hours here.....so with that temptation.......I end up delaying going to sleep. Now this may have nothing to do with my presentation of symtoms.......but I believe it may be a precipitating event and of significance for you to know I am 61 years old and a male. I have been getting the reduced sleep for about 2 months and only found these symtoms showing up (swelling in ankles and feet) for about a week.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This may indicate a serious cause or venous stasis

Detailed Answer:

This may indicate something serious like heart function compromise, reduced renal function, electrolyte imbalance or altered liver function.

Or it can be due to other causes like venous stasis, water retention or incompetent veins- this may happen if you are sitting in one place for longer hours.

Since there are many causes which present with pedal edema, this needs clinical evaluation and investigations to know underlying cause.

So ideal step would be to see doctor and get investigations done.Doctor might put you on diuretics till cause is found.

Meanwhile, keeping legs elevated when possible and during sleep along with limiting water intake to only needed and reducing salt intake can help.

In case there is skin inflammation along with edema, then its time to see doctor immediately as it can be cellulitis or venous thrombosis.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.