What causes swelling in the toes, ankles and legs?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hello,
i have swolling from my tows all the way up my both legs.both feet first after 10 days my ankle then both legs became swollen help
.my lab test was fine for two months my condition is getting worse . i have no pain.but recently every day i am having kind of seizure for only 5 second once a day sometimes two times .my problem is i am not able to were my shoes to go outside of the house.and walking is difficult.please
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
Swelling of the feet is called pedal edema and is caused by accumulation of an excessive amount of watery fluid in cells or intercellular tissues. It can be due to cellulitis, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude (less likely from your location), high salt intake and any blood clot in the veins causing DVT.
I suggest you an immediate physician consultation. You need to get blood tests, kidney function tests, electrolyte levels, ECG and stress ECHO, venous Doppler of the legs and urine tests done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes swelling in the toes, ankles and legs? 2 hours later
i have to the the Doctor and have done blood test a few months ago and the results were normal and there was no mention of conditions you mentioned. what else can i do?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper cause needs to be detected for treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The cause of swelling needs to be detected and only then a specific treatment can be started. You can start taking some general measures and see if it helps.

1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.
4) Keep your fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.
5) You can take diuretic pills after consulting your doctor to relive the pedal edema.

If the pedal edema persists then I suggest you an immediate physician consultation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.