What are the symptoms of a failed Nissen fundoplication?
I will try to explain to best of my knowledge.
Nissen fundoplication has become the most popular of the antireflux procedures in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Recent series show a long-term success rate of over 90% with this procedure. This is superior to any currently available medical treatment option.
Failure of Nissen fundoplication occurs when the patient, after the repair, experiences persistent or recurrent reflux symptoms, is unable to swallow normally, or suffers from upper abdominal discomfort or other gastrointestinal symptoms. The assessment of these symptoms and the selection of patients who need further surgery remains a challenging problem.
Recurrence or persistence of reflux symptoms (i.e., heartburn and regurgitation) and postoperative persistent dysphagia are the most common indicators for failure of Nissen fundoplication. Recurrent or persistent reflux symptoms and/or dysphagia occur in about 8% of patients after Nissen fundoplication. In a series of 50 patients who required reoperation after a failed Nissen fundoplication, heartburn and regurgitation were the most common presenting symptoms.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Exercise nissen fundoplication
- Food poisoning and nissen fundoplication
- Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication vomit
- Symptoms of nissen fundoplication coming undone
- Symptoms of undone nissen fundoplication
- Diet after nissen fundoplication
- Nissen fundoplication vomiting
- Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication pregnancy
- Eating after nissen fundoplication
- What are the symptoms of a failed nissen fundoplication
- Sudden weight gain, lower back pain. Need help
- Pressure inside ear and pain. Have herniated disk. MRI and ultrasound...
- Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about...
- Infant has large belly button. Is there a hernia belt appropriate for...
- Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Done C-peptide test. Want to know...
- Dark circles below eyes. Have seven hours sleep. What measures can be...
- Taking immunosuppressants for Crohn's disease. Runny nose, congestion,...
- What can get rid of bad nose smell?
- Child has fever, dizziness, red cheeks, bug bite on cheek, no head or...
- Sneezing during variance in weather in Pune. Can you please help?