question-icon

What are the symptoms of UTI?

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: Hi,
At the onset of symptoms of a U.T.I., my hands will severely cramp. Can you tell what
causes the cramping and how to relieve the symptoms? I am 92 yrs. old and have frequent
U. T.I. symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Dehydration and loss of nutrients ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. With normal urine, certain nutrients are also expelled. With an excessive amount of urine being expelled, not only does this result in dehydration but the loss of various nutrients, including salt.

I would however, blame the cramping primarily due to dehydration and the loss of salt. So please do drink plenty of fluids during and immediately from the onset of your symptoms, and this should suffice. This should help in preventing the cramps greatly.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan