Owl Image

What are the stages and treatment of malignant neoplasms?

Question
What are the stages of Malignant neoplasms and how can it be treated?
Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this recent diagnosis of malignant neoplasm of the colon. In a simpler term, this means cancer of the colon. I understand how worrisome this is but, the best thing to do at this time is to follow up and get the best existing management for whatever the final diagnosis and classification is. Courage as you take on this.

Cancer is treated with surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy depending on the stage. Cancer of the colon is grossly classified into 4 stages and major treatment guideline are as follows:

I. Confined within the intestinal lumen==Surgery enough

II. Extend to the outermost layer of the intestines without invading neighboring structures.====Surgery enough

III. Involves lymph nodes ====surgery, chemotherapy and maybe radiation therapy

IV: Extends to different organs====Chemotherapy++++

I cannot tell what stage your cancer is at this time as it requires multiple testing before concluding on this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Please, keep me updated as you get evaluated and different treatment decisions are being considered.