What are the signs and symptoms of a rib fracture?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 24 Jan 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. About 2 weeks ago I fell and landed on my rear end with my back against a wall. I twisted my body so I could get to my knees and push myself up with my hands. Since then I have had pain on my right side extending from my lower ribs to my waist. The area is not sore to the touch, so I doubt I have a broken rib, but it hurts when I bend or turn my body to the right when walking and when I lay on my right side. Salonpass patches give me some temporary relief. Will the pain go away eventually? If not, what do you suggest I do. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
rest, protect area, warm compress, resolve less than 6 weeks

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The pain should go away. Pain due to significant soft tissue trauma can resolve in 2 to 6 weeks.
You have already passed the 2 week mark according to your history.

Rib fracture, unless there is difficulty breathing or a previous serious lung condition, is treated with rest and pain medication so its treatment is not much different from soft tissue injury.

You can currently using ibuprofen along with salonpas and t relief. The salonpas contains a topical nsaid (like ibuprofen or naproxen or cataflam) along with menthol.

The use of these three meds is a very good idea. This can be combined with(1) as much rest as possible,
(2)protection of the muscles involved- as much as possible, it would be best to avoid the movements that are causing pain so the the muscles can be protected for a bit
(3)warm compress to the area 2 to 3 times daily for 15 to 20 mins would also help as well

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions