What are the side effects of Propofol?

Posted on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy with today with propofol. I typically take a half of unisom sleeptab (doxylamine) to sleep. Is it safe to do so. It has been 10 hours since the time I woke up from the procedure.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can use doxylamine

Detailed Answer:

You can safely use Doxylamine for sleep if it was already prescribed.
Propofol has no effect after so many hours. Besides Propofol effects are dimnished in minutes after administration as it easily penetrates to peripheral body (out of brain) within minutes of IV administration, so the duration of clinical effect is less than an hour. Hence used for such endoscopic procedures which rarely last an hour.

Hope this answers.

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam