What are the side effects of Nexpro?

Dr. Harshal Vora

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015 in General Health
Question: Sir,

I am taking Nexpro for quite long one tab of 20 MG a day to avoid acidity. If I don't take, I will suffer from serious acidity problem.

Will it have any long term impact on my health?

Thanks

KK
Answered by Dr. Harshal Vora 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take nexpro for long term but need to diagnose the problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to HCM
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
In Longterm acidity problems which can range from mild esophagitis or gastritis to ulcers nexpro is a drug of choice.

Sudden stoppage of nexpro will cause rebound acidity and you have again have to take nexpro. So always taper slowly acidity medications. You can take half tablet for 7 Days or alternate days and then stop the tablets.

Longterm usage of Nexpro ( esomeprazole/rabeprazole) will cause vitamin B12 deficiency and calcium deficiency. You can be prone for typhoid or cholera like infections rarely as acid is required to kill that bacterias. But usually people take nexpro without much difficulties and side effects.

But in cases of ulcer and severe gastritis Longterm acidity medications are necessary. So we can't stop antacids in that patients. So kindly do your upper GI endoscopy and rule out ulcer.

If there is milder problem, your doctor can taper your antacids slowly and you can stop that.
Thank you.
Any further questions are welcomed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Harshal Vora 2 days later
Dear Doctor,

If I am found to have ulcer in my esophagus or in the stomach, (I feel pain in the stomach lining sometimes and I have completely given up spicy food) , is it OK to take Nexpro RD for a month , for its curing or any anti-biotic is also required?

Thanks and regards

KK
Answered by Dr. Harshal Vora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can definitely take Nexpro tablets and no need for antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi... Welcome again...

You can definitely take Nexpro tablets if you have ulcer, actually it's a drug of choice for ulcers. But you need to diagnose first it by an endoscopy.

Persistent abdominal pain needs a proper physical evaluation.

Even if you are not going immediately for endoscopy, you can continue Nexpro tablets for a month.. I have explained you the side effects of long term acidity medications, however they are not common and long term antacids are prescribed by many doctors.

Antibiotics are not necessary unless there is evidence of an infection.

Thank you.
Have a nice day.
Follow up: Dr. Harshal Vora 4 hours later
Thank you soo much Dr. Vora for the clarification.

KK
Answered by Dr. Harshal Vora 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you to you also.. My pleasure..

Detailed Answer:
Thank you very much.. I am happy that I have cleared your doubts.. If you have any further questions feel free to ask..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj