What are the side effects of Nebido?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 2 May 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I'm in excellent health and traveling. I was on Testosterone gel alternating every 4 day with 4 days of hcg. I took the Nebido shot which last 3 months. after a wake, a week after taking the shot, i took the hcg and woke up dizzy. I also take dhea (30mg). daily. the dizziness concerns me.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A bit more of histoty please

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern. Could you explain a bit more on your dizziness episode. How long did it last for? Any associated nausea or vomiting? Any fever? How do you feel now? Any sounds ( tinnitus) from ears?

Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 10 minutes later
The incident lasted about 5 hours -- no other symptoms. Later, I felt like I was fighting a cold. Eventually that passed. I also take DHEA (30mg). All this was prescribed by a doctor based on blood tests; however, no one told me how to add the hcg once I switched from gel to the time released nebido. Ia mtraveling now, and it's difficult to get answers. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be due to Nebido

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the reply. I do not think your transient short episode of dizziness was due to Nebido. Keep yourself well hydrated while travelling. Good to hear that the giddiness is no more there.

Nebido is a long acting testosterone preperation and cause suppression of pituitary hypothalamic reproductive axis while on treatment which can cause testes atrophy. hCG is added to prevent testicular atrophy while on Nebido. You may only require a weekly once hcG injection for this purpose. However, if you are planning to have a baby, you may require a higher dose