What are the side effects of Mirtazapine in the elderly?

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: My 85 yr old mother was given Mirtazapine for insomnia. She has been in the hospital ever since. Her terrifying nightmares and the lengthy catatonia with stiffness and rigidness has our whole family perplexed and indeed concerned that we have lost the mother we once had to this medication Mirtazapine. We SLOWLY are visibly observing our mother come out of a very peculiar state of mind. It is as if she has been on a bad trip via prescription drugs. We, for the first time just last week, overheard her uttering something about 'the pill.' We immediately thought to consult with her Pharmacist, as the nurse for her PCP wasn't returning our phone calls. Could you please shed some medical knowledge on this form of treatment for insomnia in elderly women. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unfortunate Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. What you have experienced with mirtazapine is a rare phenomenon. IN elderly people mirtazapine in low dosage is a good medicine for sleep and I generally prescribe it in the dosage of 7.5mg. Its an effective drug in this dosage and I have never notied such a problem. There could be three possibilities: 1) Mirtazapine could have been prescribed in a higher dosage leading to complications. 2) Some other drug was prescribed instead. 3) She had an reaction to the medicine, which otherwise could not have been predicted. The best thing would be to keep your mother off drug at present until she recovers completely. There after she may be started on Tab Clonazepam 0.25 mg at night for sleep. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist