What are the repercussions of taking additional dosage of Atenolol?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I accidentally took two 100 MG atenelol, perhaps two or three days in a row. The problem has been rectified but I would like to know how dangerous this has been.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it depends...

Detailed Answer:

taking more atenolol (or other beta blockers) may cause significantly lower pulse rate and perhaps also lower blood pressure, which may cause serious problems like faintness and even syncope. It all depends on the blood pressure and heart rate. Obviously you didn't have any symptoms so no harm was done. Some patients do take such a dose but individualization of the dosage is the right way to go.

So in conclusion, if you never had symptoms of faintness (or any symptom) then no harm is anticipated. Don't worry!

Kind Regards!