What are the repercussions of overdosing on Tetanus toxoid injection?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hai. . Doctor.. what happen if taken tetanus tocoid injection 2ml (mistakenly)instead of 0.5 ml.. in single dose. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
you need to Visit your nearest ER at the earliest....

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Tetanus toxoid is relatively safe and harmless when administered properly(intra muscular) in appropriate dosage 0.5 ml each time..

Now you're not supposed to inject 2 ml in single dose as the single dose vials are only dispensed in 0.5 ml quantity (unless you've injected total 4 vials or from a multi-dose vial), so first of all please recheck carefully if you've actually taken 0.5 ml or 2.0 ml..

If it turns out as 2.0 ml then I'd suggest you not to delay any more and please visit your nearest ER for a detailed physical examination to look for any immediate adverse effects and some initial investigations as well as further monitoring and strict observation for at least the next 24 hrs..

There may or may not be any immediate impact but it's important that you remain under medical supervision for the next 24 hrs / until given fitness clearance by the Emergency medicine/ Toxicology specialist..

Please don't panic and remain vigilant and let somebody accompany you to the ER..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 25 minutes later
Dear Doctor, thank you for your reply. since 36 hours no adverse reactions. I am sure that I take 2ml of tetanus dosage. And no symptoms except pain at injection site. If I go to the hospital.. what are the vitals that I have to be checked. Is there any effect after 36 hours too. Please help doctor.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you still need to go to your nearest ER at the earliest....

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome back,

Thanks for following up,

it's good that 36 hrs are over already, but I'd still advice you to go get yourself checked at the nearest ER once, because in this type of scenario, no one can predict exactly what may happen, that's why it's better to get examined first of all by the Emergency medicine specialist..

There's a bucket list of side effects (mainly neurological), so i'm not going in to those details as they'll make you nothing but more anxious..

You should also note, that tetanus overdose is really rare, as I've already explained in my previous reply (I hope you understood), and rare instances are always difficult to handle due to several factors, so it's always better to get checked before hand to stay assured..

You don't need to get checked for any vitals by yourself in the hospital as it's not something planned, you need to simply go to the ER(Emergency) and explain in details about the scenario to the Emergency physician and let them examine the local area and systematic examination(investigations will be necessary only after clinical examination accordingly)..

No need to panic, but please get it done for further assurance, as it's for your betterment only..

Let me know how it goes later on..

Best Of Luck

Take Care
Kind Regards