• question-icon

What causes popping sound in the hand during workouts?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Good morning, yesterday morning, during my swim workout I 've been alternating 100 yd intervals with 10 push ups off the side of the pool (1000yd swim + 10sets of 10 pushups). Monday's and Wednesday's workouts went well, however Friday morning during the set of push ups around number 30 +-, I felt a popping sensation and now I can make that same popping sensation voluntarily. There is no pain, just from me prodding and probing the area from where the sensation comes from. There is no mobility issues. The sensation comes from when I get up from the couch or bed and when my arm dangles straight down the popping or feeling like something is rolling over the collar bone. What may I have done to myself.

I just discovered that when I'm bent over (say at the waist roughly 90 degrees) and reach out with my right hand to retrieve something, I feel the sensation of something moving around on the part of my collar bone nearest to the center of my chest. And when I stand upright, I feel the sensation of something moving around in the same area.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a partial tear of a muscle

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Going by the description it seems that you have overstrained yourself and have pulled a muscle, partially tearing it in the process. The retracted torn muscle fibers could be the reason that you are feeling 'something' move over certain parts of the body. As of now, nothing needs to be done about it.

It is hard to comment specifically about the disposition and extent of the tear without a thorough clinical examination but I do not think that it would be anything else. In any case I do not think that you need to worry.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 days later
Should I lay off push ups? If so for how long?
Brief Answer:
Doing in moderation should suffice. No need to stop.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I do not think that you need to lay it off. Just do it in moderate amounts.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Yesterday, working on dismantling my patio cover, I stepped on a wood screw which went through my shoe and pierced my foot. Bleeding ensued, I immediately began washing it off in the bath tub, placed alcohol on it, then betadine, then hydrogen peroxide, then wiped it off with antibacterial wipes, began rinsing it off again, and shortly after it stopped bleeding. The screw was rusty and my question is, should I go in and get a tetanus shot?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
One dose of tetanus toxoid will not suffice.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You can take a tetanus shot but let me tell you that unless you have an existing immunity a single dose will not protect you. Unless you have received doses every 5 years, I would insist you to get a shot, repeat it between 1-2 months and then after 6 months. This will give you an immunity that will last for 5 years. You would need to get a booster dose thereafter.

If you want actual protection for the current episode you would need to go for a tetanus immunoglobulin and not merely tetanus toxoid.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha