What are the precautions to be taken while suffering from liver cirrhosis?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Dear Doc,

My 63 yrs old mother underwent a cholecystectomy through microsurgery. The surgeon noticed early cirrhotic changes in her liver, which he later diagnosed as early signs of cirrhosis. the picture of her liver taken during the above mentioned  surgery and her recent liver function test reports are attached.(My mother currently takes medication for hypothyroidism and hypertension--she also used to take statins which were discontinued after the liver diagnosis).My queries are:-

1) How advanced is her liver condition?

2) What specific precautions can be taken to minimise the risks of / substantially delay  the progression into full fledged cirrhosis?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stages of liver cirrhosis is determined by many factors as following...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your mother's medical history and can say as following:

1. The stage of liver cirrhosis is determined by many factors including the golden standard which is liver biopsy, and other parameters like albumin/prothrombin levels which are not present in the test you did. The liver function test alone cannot determine the actual stage of her liver cirrhosis.

However, as her doctors have stated early stage, it means that her liver condition is not advanced.

2. In order to prevent/delay the progression of her liver damages to fledged cirrhosis, I advise to:
- minimize the quantity and dosage of the medications she is taking for her chronic illnesses as per lab reports
- discuss with her doctor to start taking silymarin and vit.E
- eat a liver-healthy diet
- avoid alcohol, too fatty/sugary foods

Hope it answered to your questions! Let me know if you have further queries!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 37 hours later
Dear Doc,
Many thanks. Can you let me typically how much time does cirrhosis take to reach the final stages from the initial stages
XXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Months to years depending on following factors...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXX,

There are many factors that would determine the onset of final stages of liver cirrhosis including medications, her diet and lifestyle regiment, and exposure to liver toxins.

Having early stages of liver cirrhosis does not necessarily mean that she would go for final stages. She can live for years or forever with this stage of liver cirrhosis without precipitating to final stages.

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 11 hours later
Dear Doc,
Please also find enclosed the PT INR results. Do let me know in case it provides any further insights.

Sorry for the trouble and many thanks for your ever so prompt responses.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
PT-INR test ok,liver function is compensated (not altered)...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXX,

I am sorry for the late reply do to my work in the clinic.

Now, I have gone through her PT-INR result, and it was within the acceptable range. However, I was not able to see the reference range the lab was using.

Anyway, that was ok, demonstrating that her liver function is ok. Perhaps it has gone through light damages, however, the liver function is well compensated. Once again, this shows signs of early stages of liver cirrhosis (compensated).

Hope it answered to your queries!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini