What are the post-operative effects of adenoidectomy?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My grandson suggested adenoidectomy.he is of 3 years.it is at 4th stage.He breath by mouth.what are the side effects after surgery and whether it is necessary to have adenoidectomy.If this surgery is avoided at this stage ,what will be the future health problems to be faced by the kid.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The size of adenoids starts regressing after 3.5 years of age.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

The size of the adenoids starts regressing automatically after a certain age and unless the respiratory tract is significantly encroached upon my the enlargement, or unless there are frequent and recurrent episodes of respiratory infections (7 times in a year, or more) surgery is not needed. Depending on the severity of symptoms, it can be assessed whether surgery can be averted. If averted, probably it can be averted altogether and subsequently the size will regress anyway.

If the surgery is opted for, no specific future health problems or side effects need to be expected.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj