What are the possible reasons for high creatinine levels?

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I just received my urinalysis report. My protein/creatine was 534 red blood count 30 total protein 47.0 glucose -0- specific gravity 1.021 can you tell me what the possibilities are for having such high readings?
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possible kidney disease Detailed Answer: Hi there Thank you for sending in your query. Your urinalysis results suggest that you are leaking proteins and red blood cells in the urine. The common condition which can cause this are diseases of the kidney. Of these IgA Nephropathy is the most frequent one although there are a number of other possibilities. The other conditions which can cause protein leak are diabetes mellitus and urinary tract infections (UTI). However UTI often has associated symptoms like burning sensation or increased urinary frequency. SO what should be the next course of action? We need to do the following things: 1) Check your blood pressure 2) You should get the following blood tests done: blood urea and creatinine levels, blood glucose and a CBC. 3) We also need an ultrasound of the kidneys. Once we have the above results we will be able to provide you more answers in terms of: 1) What should be the further course: do some more investigations or start treatment to reduce the protein leak. At this point your nephrologist may suggest a kidney biopsy. 2) What are the short term and long term implications of these findings. I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Bhabhe