Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

What are the non-surgical options for kidney obstruction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
1. What may be the couse of obstruction in left kidney?
2. Solution/ treatment for the same? surgery or medicines?
3. If surgery is the solution, they what are the options?
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

The cause of the obstruction is probably an obstruction in the ureteropelvic region or junction. (Normally, urine flows from the kidneys to ureters to bladder to urethra. In this case, there is an obstruction of flow of urine from the kidneys (specifically from the renal pelvis) to the ureters. At times, this can be present from birth but can also follow an infection of the upper urinary tract.
There is no medical treatment for PUJ obstruction. The only treatment is surgery. However, antibiotics and plenty of fluids are typically required before the surgery.
Surgical options include:

1) Pyeloplasty-Laparoscopic or open pyeloplasty may be done.
2) Endopyelotomy
3) Endopyeloplasty
4) Robotic-assisted laparoscopic pyeloplasty

The choice of procedure would depend upon skill of operating surgeon and on a case to case basis.
Hope this helps. I would be available for follow ups.
With good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are the non-surgical options for kidney obstruction? 57 minutes later
Thanks alot for the reply and suggetions.

Along with this I have have some queries like:

1.Can you suggest me better Doctors & hospitals for the treatment in Indore & Mumbai.
2.Which is the best surgical option, I should go with?
3. As discussed with my family doctor, Pyeloplasty-Laparoscopic is better option. Can I go with this?
4. How much time will take to recover after this treatment?
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in again,
Answers to your further queries:-
(1) It will be better if you can consult Urologist of Shri Aurobindo Institute of Medical science or Bombay Hospital at Indore. H.O.D. of Urology Dept. of these hospitals can definitely tell you the best surgeon & best hospital for this purpose.
(2) Best surgical option vary from case to case, & on skills of surgeon.
(3) This will be decided by operating surgeon after examining the patient & going through the detailed reports.
(4) Depends on procedure adopted, & operating surgeon will tell you.
Hope this will serve your purpose. If you have any further query, I would be available, but if you don't need further clarification, you can close the discussion & rate the answer. Thanks,
With good wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor