• question-icon

What are the guidelines for shifting from Farxia to Glipizide?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Diabetes
Question: Are there any instructions regarding changing from Farxia 10 mg daily to Glipizide ER 5mg daily?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no guidelines

Detailed Answer:

there are no guidelines that I know of regarding switching from dapagliflozin to glipizide. You just have to stop one drug and start the other (the next day).

May I just say that this decision sounds a little strange to me? Are you sure this is your doctor's orders? I can't question your doctor's orders since only your doctor knows your history but changing from dapagliflozin to glipizide does sound a little strange for the following reasons. It's not a mistake (particularly if it works to control your blood sugar) but it doesn't sound like the best option to me.

Dapagliflozin loses some sugar into the urine and may reduce blood glucose levels and reduce the patient's weight. Glipizide pushes the pancreas to excrete insulin and may raise the patient's weight. Weight loss is desired for patients with diabetes, as it helps a lot to control the blood sugar levels. Glipizide may be ineffective for patients with diabetes of more than 5-10 years duration as the pancreas progressively loses the ability to produce adequate amounts of insulin.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis