Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

What are the criteria for reporting hypersegmented neutrophils in a male?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
what are the criteria for reporting hypersegmented neutrophils in a male adult patient having Hb of 14.7 gm%? Should anyone report such neutrophils in an asymptomatic person ?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The better known causes of hypersegmentation of neutrophils are vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.Other causes include: iron deficiency , uremia, hyperthermia, myelodysplastic syndromes. Drugs including chemotherapy, steroids can induce neutrophil hypersegmentation. It is also known in a congenital condition (autosomal dominant) affecting 1% of the population. It is defined as any neutrophil with 6 or more lobes, or 5% of neutrophils with 5 lobes, or majority have more than 4 lobes. A lobe is considered distinct if it is separate from the nucleus or connected by a fine chromatin thread. It has been suggested that hypersegmentation can be most reliably detected by use of the segmentation index ( % of neutrophils with five lobes or more, relative to the number of four-lobed neutrophils).
20% of subjects with normal values can have occasional hypersegmented neutrophils.
However, it is very appropriate to screen for Vitamin B12 and Occult cobalamin levels, levels for the aforementioned rarer conditions. In case all of these are normal, then no need to worry.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor