What are the common and rare side effects for Nitrofurazone ointment?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is there an over the counter for Nitrofurazone Ointment (Macrobid)?

Do you know of any alternative over the counter medications that will at least ease symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This drug is not available over the counter!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the difficulties you face getting this drug refilled. It is not available over the counter because it is an antibiotic. As a rule of thumb, antibiotics are strictly controlled and not available over the counter because of fear of misuse and resistance. There are also no substitute antibiotics for this purpose that are available over the counter.

My advise is that you talk to your primary care physician. He is able to re-look into this prescription and help protect you from bladder and kidney infections.

I hope this is guiding enough. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ivo Ditah